Bromhead Medical Charity 20 Craypool Lane Scothern Lincoln LN2 2UU Tel: 01673 861412
A Ladies’ Nursing Fund Committee was established in 1864 to provide better nursing
for the Lincoln County Hospital, but the relationship with the Hospital authorities
failed and the connection was ended in 1867.
The Institution for Nurses, originally based at Mrs AF Bromhead’s house on Greestone Terrace, was opened on 28 May 1866 and trained nurses, provided nurses for the poor of Lincoln, and aided other institutions during epidemics. Additional premises, The White House, in Northgate were rented in 1869. A new building to replace The White House, known as The Red House, was built on the corner of Nettleham Road and Church Lane in 1887 as a memorial to the founder and first Lady Superintendent, Mrs AF Bromhead.
The land had been purchased in 1873 as part of an aborted orphanage project. The Red House was extended on several subsequent occasions and became the Bromhead Nursing Home. Essendon House on Nettleham Road was purchased in 1908 as a tribute to Miss Henrietta Bromhead (d1907), the second Lady Superintendent. The premises were used as a new home for the Institution for Nurses and nurses’ accommodation because of their proximity to The Red House.
The Bromhead Maternity Home was opened in 1927, and in 1937 it was moved to a new
wing of the Nursing Home.
The old Maternity Home was then turned into nurses’ accommodation.
The Bromhead Nursing Home was taken over by the National Health Service in 1948, but in 1981 it became the Bromhead Hospital, run by an independent charitable trust.
It was sold to the Nuffield Hospitals in 2001 and is now known as the BMI Lincoln Hospital. The trustees sold the hospital in order to endow a fund to help improve healthcare in Lincolnshire.